1. How can I apply to acquire citizenship of the Republic of Serbia, even if I was not born on the territory of the Republic of Serbia, and haven’t registered a place of residence there?
– According to Article 23 of the Law on Citizenship of the Republic of Serbia (‘Official Gazette of the Republic of Serbia’ No. 135/04, 90/07), a member of the Serbian nation who does not have residential status in the Republic of Serbia, may be granted citizenship of the Republic of Serbia if he or she is 18 years old or more, has not been deprived of their legal capacity, and submits a written statement that the Republic of Serbia is his/her state.
An applicant shall submit an application form with a view to acquiring citizenship of the Republic of Serbia, together with the following documents:
- birth certificate,
- proof of citizenship,
- marriage certificate,
- copies of documents that feature a photograph,
- proof of being a member of Serbian nation – some of the documents in which this fact is stated,
- Written consent if the application is for a child over the age 14,
- proof that the administrative fee has been paid.
You can submit an application on the territory of the Republic of Serbia, or through the Embassy of the Republic of Serbia on the territory of another country.
2. What is the procedure for obtaining a biometric passport? I’m travelling to the Republic of Serbia and want to know who to apply to, and which documents I need to Submit?
– For the issuance of a biometric passport, the following documents shall be submitted: an identity card or valid passport to be produced as evidence, birth certificate, proof of citizenship of the Republic of Serbia, photos (size 5×5cm), and proof that the administrative fee has been paid.
You can submit a request for the issuance of a biometric passport anywhere on the territory of the Republic of Serbia, regardless of where you have registered a place of residence.
For members of the diaspora, based on an Agreement with an Earlier Ministry of the Diaspora and the Ministry of the Interior, it is possible to obtain a biometric passport as a ‘matter of urgency’.
In case of any queries, contact a government official in the Office for Cooperation with the Diaspora and Serbs in the Region, who will provide you with all the necessary instructions and refer you to the competent authority.
3. Do I have the right to obtain dual citizenship if I am originally from Serbia, but have lived in a foreign country for a number of years?
4. How can I receive health and social care in Serbia if I live abroad?
5. How can I Convert my driver‘s license so that I can drive a car abroad?
6. Issues related to the settlement of legal affairs related to property.
7. What are the requirements for those wishing to apply to join the open competition of the Office for Partially Financing Projects?
8. A Question Related to Business Cooperation and Economic Connections
9. What are the possibilities of returning to Serbia to further my education or find a job?
10. Learning the Serbian language abroad