A passport is a travel document issued to a citizen of the Republic of Serbia for traveling and staying abroad, as well as for returning to the country. It is issued for an unlimited number of trips and is valid for ten years, or for two years if issued to a person under 14 years of age.
An Application shall be submitted in person (and a passport can be taken by the applicant in person or by a person they have authorized) to the police department or station, according to the place of registered permanent or temporary residence, i.e. the competent diplomatic or consular mission.
The following documents shall be submitted:
– a valid identity card or, if an application is submitted to a diplomatic-consular mission of the Republic of Serbia, another public document to establish the identity of an applicant,
– citizenship certificate of the Republic of Serbia – not older than six months if an application is submitted in the country, or not older than a year if submitted to a diplomatic-consular mission of the RS – which shall be submitted only if issuing a biometric passport for the first time,
– a passport with a validity date that has expired or which can no longer serve its purpose,
– evidence that the charge for the passport form has been paid,
– In cases of emergency, written proof of urgency,
– other public documents if required (for example a marriage certificate if the surname has been changed).
* citizens who already possess a biometric identity card shall only submit, together with their ID, the old passport and evidence that the charge for the passport form has been paid.
The competent body shall be obliged to meet the requirements of an application for the issuance of a travel document within 30 days of the date on which the application was submitted. For applications submitted to a diplomatic or consular representative of the Republic of Serbia, the deadline is 60 days (except in cases of emergency).