The Department for Improving the Position of Serbs in the Diaspora and the Region carries out activities related to:
- The continual monitoring, upgrading and redefining of the possible models for cooperation between the homeland, the diaspora and Serbs in the region; monitoring the position of Serbian citizens living outside the Republic of Serbia on the territory of European countries and Russia, as well as overseas countries and the Far East;
- Supporting processes for improving conditions and obtaining voting rights for citizens of Serbia who live abroad;
- Helping to improve on the rights and position of Serbs in the region, as well as maintaining and developing the spiritual, national and cultural self-worth of Serbian people outside the Republic;
- Creating conditions suitable for the return of members of the diaspora to the Republic of Serbia, through cooperation with all relevant authorities and organisations in the Republic of Serbia;
- Providing administrative and technical support to the Assembly of the Diaspora and Serbs in the Region, as well as the appropriate entities within Parliament;
- Providing administrative and technical support to the Council of the Diaspora and the Council for Relations with Serbs in the Region. Facilitating active cooperation and coordination between all relevant authorities and organisations in order to benefit members of the diaspora in terms of their rights and position, as well as proposing measures to overcome difficulties.
- Improving the flow of information to expatriates – citizens of the Republic of Serbia living abroad – regarding politics at home. Also, proposing and establishing promotional programmes in co-operation with the diaspora and Serbs in the region;
- Managing and updating a database of organisations in the diaspora and the region, and taking measures to improve and develop this in accordance with the latest IT technologies;
- Preparing press releases and information for the public on behalf of office managers and performing tasks related to external control of the media;
- Regular monitoring of press releases and data published about the work of the office in local and foreign media, as well as writing reports for the Head Office;
- Performing other duties within the scope of the Department.
The Group for Status Issues performs tasks related to:
- Cooperation with state authorities and other relevant institutions, to deal with the individual requirements of members of the Diaspora and Serbs in the region, related to improving their status and rights;
- Monitoring and proposing measures that aim to improve conditions where voting rights for citizens of the Republic of Serbia who live abroad are concerned;
- Monitoring the implementation of the Law on the Diaspora and Serbs in the Region, and providing technical support regarding its practical application;
- Performing tasks related to monitoring the position of the Serbian people in other countries in the region, and proposing measures to improve their situation;
- Monitoring the position of members of the diaspora in European countries and Russia, and proposing measures for their free organisation;
- Providing support to the existing and emerging organisations and institutions in European countries and Russia, and achieving regular coordination with diaspora organisations established on the territory of those countries, as well as other duties within the scope of the Department.